Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights is looking for a full-time Communications Officer for a 3-year term.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Officer will be part of a new Global Affairs Canada-funded project entitled Rights from the Start. In collaboration with local and global partners, the project seeks to improve comprehensive sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and support the fulfillment of sexual and reproductive rights through advocacy and feminist movement-building in targeted districts of Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana, and Peru. The project also includes Canadian public engagement elements led by Action Canada to support increased awareness of feminist and human rights-based approaches to SRHR among the Canadian public, strengthening the case of support for official development assistance (ODA) through increased knowledge on the role of international assistance on improving SRHR.
The Communications Officer will work to connect the Rights from the Start project outcomes to the Canadian public, identifying opportunities to promote greater awareness and understanding of SRHR. The candidate should be comfortable with knowledge translation of complex human rights mechanisms and communicating to public audiences through engagement channels such as media, digital content, and mobilization activities. Working in collaboration with the Rights from the Start Project Coordinator and Public Engagement team members, the Officer will develop content that helps demystify SRHR and engage the public on human rights-based and feminist approaches to SRHR in Canada and globally.
The Officer will:
- Lead on the development of feminist and human rights messaging on SRHR to connect and mobilize diverse audiences
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other material that communicates project activities, updates, products, and events, supporting in-house translation where needed
- Coordinate the roll-out of public engagement activities, such as events, consultations, collaborative campaigns, knowledge translation, and other activities with public stakeholders
- Support the development and sharing of SRHR policy briefs, fact sheets, and other communications materials – making complex human rights and feminist information publicly accessible and engaging
- Support the external communications of the Sexual Rights Initiative, a coalition of national and regional organizations based in Canada, Poland, India, Argentina, and South Africa that work together to advance human rights related to sexuality at the United Nations, including contributing to the development of a digital strategy.
- Engage in cross-team collaborative campaign development to link domestic and global SRHR advocacy
- Coordinate other aspects of communications, including liaising with translators and other vendors.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field or equivalent experience in a related field, such as Political Science, Human Rights, Law, Public Administration, Communications, International Development, Social Work, Public Health and Health Policy, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years working in the NGO/civil society sector in a related role
- Demonstrated experience with implementing and creating digital strategies, campaigns, and advocacy efforts
- Demonstrated experience with content development and coordination, including collaborative writing and copy-editing
- Demonstrated experience with social media and earned media
- Experience engaging with diverse stakeholders
- Strong skills with programs including online conferencing tools (Zoom, Skype etc), project management (Asana), cloud-based document management (Dropbox, Sharepoint), CMS (Drupal), Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office
- Competence in managing self-directed work in a fast-paced environment
Additional Requirements and Assets:
- Knowledge of and commitment to Action Canada’s mission and values;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining excellent attention to detail;
- Commitment to and demonstrated effectiveness working as part of a diverse and participatory team;
- Experience working with remote teams
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression principles and practices;
- Flexible and adaptive, able to respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances;
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Fluent in Spanish and English, writing and speaking. French considered an asset.
Send your cover letter and CV by 11:59pm on June 7, 2020 to: email@example.com with the subject line: Communications Officer – Rights from the Start.
The salary for this position is $52,500 to $60,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. The position will be based out of Action Canada’s main office in Ottawa, but qualified remote candidates based in Canada are welcome to apply.
Recognizing that we are facing an unprecedented and unusual time, we have made adjustments to our hiring processes. At this time, all staff at Action Canada are working from home, so we anticipate the interviewing and on-boarding process to occur remotely. We acknowledge that COVID-19 has caused disruptions to many lives and people may require additional accommodations.
As an employer we are committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicant’s needs throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those invited for an interview will be contacted.