Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights seeks a full-time Project Specialist for a six-month term.
Title: Project Coordination: Project Management Specialist, Rights from the Start
Organization: Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights
Section: Global Policy & Advocacy
Reporting to: Director of Global Policy & Advocacy
Coordinates with: Finance, Operations, Communications, Programs
Supervision: No direct reports
Location: Ottawa or remote
Status: Six-Month Fixed Term Employment
Who We Are
Action Canada for Sexual Health & Rights is a progressive, pro-choice human rights-based charitable organization committed to advancing and upholding sexual and reproductive health and rights in Canada and globally.
Building on the 50-year legacy of the organizations that formed Action Canada, we provide direct support, referrals, and information to the people who need it most, partner with groups and organizations on a range of campaigns using a collaborative, movement-building approach, and work with decision-makers to advance progressive policies on access to abortion, stigma-free healthcare, gender equality, 2SLGBTQ rights, sex workers’ rights, and inclusive sex-ed.
We believe in a world where every person controls their sexuality, reproduction, gender expression, and health. In our fight for sexual and reproductive rights for all, Action Canada challenges the systems that create unequal access to information, health care, and rights.
For more information, visit actioncanadashr.org.
Reporting to the Director of Global Policy and Advocacy, the Project Coordination: Project Management Specialist will lead the refinement of project processes for a Global Affairs Canada-funded project entitled Rights from the Start. In collaboration with local and global partners, the project seeks to improve comprehensive sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and support the fulfillment of sexual and reproductive rights through health and education service provision and advocacy in targeted districts of Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana and Peru. The project also includes Canadian public engagement elements led by Action Canada to support increased awareness of feminist and human rights-based approaches to SRHR among the Canadian public.
The role of the Project Coordination: Project Management Specialist will be to review, refine and implement project management processes and systems for the RFTS project. Additional duties will include monitoring project progress and performance, ensuring compliance with funder requirements, and coordinating with local, Canadian, global project partners and Action Canada teams to ensure the successful management of the project. In accordance with Action Canada’s values, the Project Coordination: Project Management Specialist will be expected to possess a deep understanding of the complex power differentials present in transnational project coordination and an ability to assess, design and implement project management processes that are transparent, participatory, and responsive to the needs and priorities of all project partners.
Project Coordination: Project Management Specialist Responsibilities:
- Design and lead a review of project management processes and systems to ensure successful implementation of activities and compliance with contractual agreements;
- Design and implement changes to current project management processes;
- Coordinate with domestic and global partners to ensure a participatory, transparent and responsive process;
- Co-convene project partner committees to ensure effective coordination, communication and collaboration across all aspects of project implementation;
- Manage and maintain thorough and efficient program administration across all aspects of the project implementation;
- Develop and coordinate monitoring and evaluation processes to ensure quality reporting to a range of stakeholders;
- Manage external consultants as required;
- Document learnings, challenges and promising practices;
- Actively participate in Action Canada all-staff and relevant team meetings to support the achievement of organizational strategic goals;
- Other related duties, as required.
- University degree in a related field or equivalent experience; Program/project management certification is a strong asset;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in program management;
- Experience managing or supporting complex, multi-stakeholder projects;
- Proven experience in the development and application of performance measurement frameworks and results-based management;
- Strong track record of timely, accurate and high-quality reporting to funders;
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills including with online conferencing tools (Zoom, Skype etc), project management (Asana), cloud-based document management (Dropbox, Sharepoint) and Microsoft Office;
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and rights advocacy, service delivery and programming is an asset;
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with Global South civil society organizations is an asset.
- Knowledge of and commitment to Action Canada’s mission and values;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining excellent attention to detail;
- Commitment to and demonstrated effectiveness working as part of a diverse and participatory team;
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression principles and practices;
- Flexible and adaptive, able to respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances;
- Eligible to work in Canada;
- Fluency in English is required.
Send your cover letter and CV by 11:59pm EDT on Monday, August 30, 2021 to:
SUBJECT: Project Management Specialist – Rights from the Start
Recognizing that we are facing an unprecedented and unusual time, we have made adjustments to our hiring processes. At this time, all staff at Action Canada are working from home, so we anticipate the interviewing and on-boarding process to occur remotely. We acknowledge that COVID-19 has caused disruptions to many lives and people may require additional accommodations.
Action Canada is committed to working within an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework. We encourage members of Black, Indigenous, and racialized communities, and members of other equity-seeking groups, to apply and to self-identify in your cover letter. We welcome applications from people living with disabilities; please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.