Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights is looking for a full-time Public Engagement Officer for a 3-year term.
Reporting to the Director of Government Relations, the Public Engagement Officer will be part of a new Global Affairs Canada funded project entitled Rights from the Start. In collaboration with local and global partners, the project seeks to improve comprehensive sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and support the fulfillment of sexual and reproductive rights through advocacy and feminist movement building in targeted districts of Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana and Peru. The project also includes Canadian public engagement elements led by Action Canada to support increased awareness of feminist and human rights-based approaches to SRHR among the Canadian public, strengthening the case of support for official development assistance (ODA) through increased knowledge on the role of international assistance on improving SRHR.
The Public Engagement Officer will work to connect the Rights from the Start project outcomes to the Canadian public, identifying opportunities to promote greater awareness and understanding of SRHR. The candidate should be comfortable with knowledge translation of complex human rights mechanisms, and communicating to public audiences through engagement channels such as media, digital content, and mobilization activities. Working in collaboration with the Rights from the Start Project Coordinator and Communications team members, the Officer will demystify SRHR and help engage the public on human rights-based and feminist approaches to SRHR in Canada and globally.
The Officer will:
- Lead the development of a multi-year public engagement strategy with robust monitoring, evaluation and learning components
- Identify and develop individual and sectoral actions for mobilization and engagement on SRHR at the national and international level
- Contribute to the development of feminist and human rights messaging on SRHR to connect and mobilize diverse audiences
- Create and maintain a public engagement database; managing, updating, and utilizing the platform for direct action, tracking, and reporting analytics
- Identify, develop, implement, and evaluate public engagement activities, such as events, consultations, collaborative campaigns, knowledge translation, and other activities with public stakeholders
- In collaboration with relevant Action Canada teams, lead on development of SRHR policy briefs, fact sheets, and other communications materials – making complex human rights information and feminist approaches publicly accessible and engaging
- Organize Cross Regional Forums on SRHR to share lessons learned, promising practices and contemporary challenges in the realization of SRHR across different contexts
- Identify opportunities to highlight the work of Global South partner organizations and share project outcomes with domestic audiences
- Engage in cross-team collaborative campaign development to link domestic and global SRHR advocacy
- Produce quarterly reports on activities and outcomes
- Contribute to relevant budget forecasting, monitoring and reporting
- University degree in a related field or equivalent experience in a related field, such as Political Science, Human Rights, Law, Public Administration, Communications, International Development, Social Work, Public Health and Health Policy, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years working in the NGO/civil society sector
- Strong writing, communication, and campaigning skills
- Experience planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating campaign and public engagement strategies
- Experience developing, implementing, and promoting online engagement tools, such as New/mode, for advocacy actions and mobilization campaigns
- Experience organizing public or large events
- Experience engaging with diverse stakeholders
- Strong computer skills including with online conferencing tools (Zoom, Skype etc), project management (Asana), cloud-based document management (Dropbox, Sharepoint), and Microsoft Office
- Competence in managing self-directed work in a fast-paced environment
Additional Requirements and Assets:
- Knowledge of and commitment to Action Canada’s mission and values;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining excellent attention to detail;
- Commitment to and demonstrated effectiveness working as part of a diverse and participatory team;
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression principles and practices;
- Flexible and adaptive, able to respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances;
- Eligible to work in Canada;
- Experience working with remote teams;
- Experience with monitoring & evaluation a strong asset;
- Bilingualism in French and/or Spanish considered an asset.
Send your cover letter and CV by 11:59pm on June 7, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Public Engagement Officer – Rights from the Start.
The salary for this position is $55,000 to $60,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. The position will be based out of Action Canada’s main office in Ottawa, but qualified remote candidates based in Canada are welcome to apply.
Recognizing that we are facing an unprecedented and unusual time, we have made adjustments to our hiring processes. At this time, all staff at Action Canada are working from home, so we anticipate the interviewing and on-boarding process to occur remotely. We acknowledge that COVID-19 has caused disruptions to many lives and people may require additional accommodations.
As an employer we are committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicant’s needs throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those invited for an interview will be contacted.