The Government of Canada can and must end unequal access to abortion for all people in Canada!
We’re tired of demanding equitable access to abortion in Canada. Aren’t you? Access is STILL restricted by financial resources, geographic location, immigration status, and physicians refusing to provide the services on moral and religious grounds. Certain provinces and territories uphold unlawful regulations that limit access to abortion, even though the Government of Canada is OBLIGATED under the Canada Health Act to intervene where abortion is restricted.
WHAT CANADA CAN DO RIGHT NOW TO ENSURE EQUAL ACCESS TO ABORTION:
- Withhold cash transfers to provinces and territories failing to ensure the availability and accessibility of abortion services.
- Publish accurate health information on the Health Canada website about abortion and abortion-related services, and actively address health disinformation proliferated by anti-choice organizations.
- Prevent federal funding going to organizations that are undermining human rights, including crisis pregnancy centres.
- Ensure sustainable supports for individuals seeking abortion services in Canada or outside of Canada, including funding to cover travel and accommodation costs.
- Ensure access to abortion and sexual and reproductive health care to uninsured people.